Getting started with Intertours Expense
Intertours Expense allows you to submit your business and travel expenses through your web browser and our mobile app. Intertours Expense also gives you an overview of all your expense reports, messages and personal settings.
- Create an account
- Getting Started – for Administrators
- Manage your organization
Create an account
If your organization invites you to use Intertours Expense, you will receive your invitation in a welcome email containing a link to activate your user account. You will receive the invitation directly from Intertours Expense.
In the email, click Activate Account. Intertours Expense opens in the browser and here you enter your first and last name as well as a strong password. Click Create Account. Intertours Expense will now create your account and log you in.
Below you can read how to set up your organization as an administrator for Intertours Expense.
Getting Started – for Administrators
As an Intertours expense administrator, you can customize spending processes to suit both you and your business. Whenever you want, you can change what to include in the expense process, what the user interface looks like, and which users can do what.
Switch between administrator mode and private mode
The organization mode for administrators is only available in our web version of Intertours Expense. When you log in to Intertours Expense, you will be logged into your private mode. To switch to your organization and admin mode, click the drop-down list (in the upper-left corner of your window) where Private View says.
Select Organization to switch to administrator mode.
In Organization mode, you can see the organizations you manage in the second drop-down list Administrator for at the top of the window.
Manage your organization
The following section provides a brief description of the menu on the left in Organization mode. For more information about the different features in the tabs, follow the following articles on the different tabs that explain more about this feature.
The dashboard is the first view you see after switching to organization mode. Here you will find the overview and the accounting report.
- Overview – The Overview gives you a good overview of the data in your organization. In the upper right corner, you can change what kind of data the overview should display. For example - All data shows the total number of users in the company, reports created, expenses made, etc.
- Accounting Report – Under Accounting Report, you can create a report for the organization. The report contains all the data for the expense reports that have been submitted since the organization was created in Intertours Expense. It is possible to create a report for a specific period of time and also add the unsubmitted reports.
In this article, you will learn about the Users tab and how to manage users in your organization.
As an administrator, you are the one who can add new users and delete users from the organization. If you have an interface (API) to your HR program, manage it here as well (this tab only appears if an API interface has been enabled).
Here you can see all users associated with the organization. If your company is registered by a partner (for example, that an accounting firm handles your company's accounting), here is a tab where you can see your assigned accounting consultants.
Under Users, you also manage the user's employee numbers, whether he can report expenses for another user, and to which department he belongs.
As an Intertours Expense administrator, you can assign administrative privileges to other Intertours Expense users. To do this, click Users. Click the user to whom you want to assign administrator permissions, select the Administrator check box, and save the settings.
Under this category, you can manage and view the reports that users send to your organization. This section is divided into different tabs and some of the tabs must be enabled to be displayed here.
- For approval – Under this tab, you can see which reports have been sent by the user for approval. Here you can also see who currently has the report for approval.
If a report contains multiple approvers, you can view them by clicking View. You can also send a reminder to the approver(s). To do this, select the corresponding report and click Send reminder in the upper right corner of the window. If you have selected a report, you can present additional options for handling the report as an administrator. For example, if you made a change in the approval tree for a report that the user has already sent for approval, you must resend that report for approval to enable the new approval hive for the specific report.
- Ready to send – Here you can review the reports after they have been approved or when the user has sent the report (if approval is not enabled).
Before you send the reports to the appropriate report recipients, select the reports you want to send and click Manage Billing. Now choose Send Statements. If you have multiple report recipients, they appear as tabs under Report Recipients.
Again, you have some options for editing the reports to make changes. For example, you can move the reports to another recipient if you do not want to send the report to a specific report recipient.
- Sent – This is where the reports end up after they are sent to the report recipient(s). This is the only default tab you see if you have not enabled any other tabs for Report view. You can also edit the reports in this step. Here are your options:
- Files – Here you will find all your created files. You can download the files as many times as you like. To do this, click Download export file on the right.
You can also view a summary as a PDF that contains all reports. To do so, click here:
- Paid – If you have enabled this tab, you will see all the reports that have been paid here. You set it up under Settings > Expense Management > Workflow > Payment Documentation.
Click the report you want to mark as paid and select Mark as paid under Manage billing.
A new window will open where youcan choose whether you want to create a payment file (please note that a new payment file will be generated and sent again to the corresponding report recipient). If you don't want to create a payment file, simply click Mark as paid and the report will be moved to the Paid tab .
The user will now see this report under Paid Billing in their private mode.
Again, you can edit displayed reports by going to the options.
In addition, you can view the payment basis to see which amounts are tax-free and which are taxable.
The settlement processes depend on which accounting system (report recipient) Intertours Expense is linked to.
Intertours Expense integrates with most accounting and payroll systems, and you can choose from multiple file formats when creating expense reports. An expense process has a number of default settings that you can edit and customize for your business. You can find these settings by going to Settings.
My organization is divided into three tabs:
- Company details – Here you can enter your company data, such as name, address, etc. and the default language of the organization. Only the company name is visible to users in the app and reports.
- Organization structure – An organization can have departments (which in turn can have subdivisions). Here you add your desired organizational structure. The departments can be used to control how approval is handled within the organization. In this case, you must also assign a department to each user in the user settings. You can also select VAT settings for each department: VAT-payable, VAT-exempt, or Transfer VAT settings from expense categories. Learn more in the article
How do I build an organizational structure?
- License information – Find information about the organization's billing and payment method, as well as a summary of the organization's license types and the number of licenses in use. You can select the month for which you want to view license statistics.
This is where you can best manage expenses in your organization. It is divided into the following tabs:
- Integrations – Add and manage integrations, charts of accounts, salary types, and payment methods. Intertous Expense is flexible in terms of settings. Select the report recipient to whom you want to send the reports. It can be an accounting program, a payroll program, or a regular PDF. If you want to send reports to more than one recipient, you can add them all. If you use multiple report recipients, remember that the reports can be sent in parallel, and carefully review the settings for each recipient. For each report recipient type, you can define the person and system who are to be the recipients of the reports. Depending on which recipient you have, different report settings can be set. For example, if you are using a financial system, you can specify how all expenses should be posted and to which accounts they should be posted. Here you also define which output types are to be sent to which report recipient. Under
Select expense types for each recipient, you must check which expense type is to be sent to the respective report recipient. For more articles in this category, see the following links:
Where can I see which integrations are available? How does the system work if you have multiple integrations? Can I add/change the integration? Where do I add my email address as a recipient if reports are available for editing in the organization?
Chart of accounts – You can use the chart of accounts if you have an accounting system as a report recipient. All accounts available here are set for each expenditure category. You make the settings under Settings > Expense Management > expense categories. If the report recipient is a system connected through an API, these accounts are automatically updated by the external system. If not, you can easily manage the accounts in this column by clicking
Edit. Here you can also select your tax account. Further articles on this category can be found under the following links:
Why do I need the chart of accounts?
How do I import/create new charts of accounts?
Can I download a list of accounts available in our organization?
Payment methods – An organization can have multiple payment methods. The payment method controls the account to which the expense is to be credited. For example, these can be "company card" and "private expenses", each of which is assigned to the correct account in accounting. The payment methods will then appear as options for all users.You can also use personal payment methods if you want to have different accounts for different employees. Personal payment methods are then associated with a specific user and can only be used by the user who linked the payment method to them. More articles about this category can be found at the following links:
What are payment methods? How do I manage payment methods for users?
- Expense categories – Expense categories are used for automatic billing and users must add the expense category for each billing. In this section, you can configure your own expense categories. Here you can also specify which input fields should be visible and mandatory/non-mandatory for users when creating output. This can be configured under Edit additional input fields. Intertours Expense has the following standardized expense categories:
General Expenses – Used for the most common expenses such as parking, tickets, accommodation, etc. For this category, it is only possible to define a single expense account.
Hospitality – Used to set up spending categories for hospitality. It is possible to specify accounts for deductible and non-deductible hospitality.
Meal packages – both domestic meal packages and foreign meal packages are available. You can define separate amounts for each country.
Travel allowances – support for different types of vehicles. It is easy to determine what amount to pay and which accounts to use for the tax-free and taxable parts. If you click
Add category, you can also add a separate category for services (for catering services) and general purchasing costs. Here you can find further articles for this category under the following links:"
Edit additional input fields" - Settings for categories, dimensions and validationsWhere can I create a new expense category? How do I turn off VAT for the organization? How do I change mileage amounts? Can I choose what should be mandatory for the user to add the output? How do I add an annual budget for a category? Can I change the tax-free mileage allowance?
- Dimensions – Here you can configure and edit dimensions for cost centers and projects, for example. Dimensions are optional, and you can use one or more. Their values can be predefined or selected by the user. Dimensions can be applied to a full report or to any output. There are many ways to customize the dimensions the way you want them for your organization. Related articles for this category can be found at the following links:
How do I manage projects for users?
How do I manage cost centers for users?
- Workflow – This is where you manage the settings related to the billing process of your reports and receipts. Click
Advanced Settings, for example, to specify the accounting currency or not to post sales tax for foreign documents. If you want each report to have a billing number, you can set this up here under Billing Number Series. More articles about this category can be found at the following links:
How do I add the "Paid" tab under "Reports"?
Can I add a setting on how many outputs the user can register in a report?
If you want to create employees as approvers for other employees, manage the settings for how the approval structure should work here. Approval can be done by a specific person (default approver) or according to the organizational structure or dimensions. At departmental level or dimension, it is possible to set amount limits per person. It is also possible to request the consent of more than one person. For more articles in this category, see the following links:
How do I set up approvers? Temporary Approver
You use this feature to send reminders to users or approvers within your organization. Write a title and a message, decide on what date it should be sent and whether it should be repeated or not.
The reminder can either be sent once or repeated every day, every week, every two weeks or once a month. Decide who to send the reminder to: all users in the organization, users with unsubmitted statements, or approvers who need to edit reports.
For more articles in this category, see the following links:
How do I manage reminders? The functionalities you don't want to miss
Intertours Expense offers many additional services that you can integrate into your Intertours Expense account, such as connecting your corporate credit cards (corporate cards), fleet management, digital receipts, etc.
Here you can enable/disable these services. There are also some free features that can be (de)activated - for example; Approval, cost allocation, and duplicate detection.For more articles in this category, see the following links:
What is Marketplace?
If you click on Support, you will be redirected to your email provider and can contact our customer service in this way.
You can also use our extensive knowledge base to quickly find answers.
If you click Log out, you will be logged out of your Intertours Expense account.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article